Thursday, 5 June 2014

Les miettes

Hello everyone!

I've got another double dose of a pattern to show off today! I seem to do this when I try a pattern and it magically fills a space in my wardrobe so perfectly - after the first, I promptly make another. But I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who does that!

Anyway, this time it happened with Tilly's Miette skirt. After about a year of ignoring its charms my mind suddenly did an inexplicable U-turn in early May and it was all I could think about. I had the perfect fabric, too - a gorgeous floral chintz I purchased from Marie of A Stitching Odyssey. She used it for her amazing Elisalex (love love LOVE!), so when she announced she had some for sale in her Etsy shop, I pounced.

Pic nabbed from Me-Made-May - excuse the wrinkles!

I don't have much to say about the pattern that Jen didn't say last April (along with the many other bloggers who've made and loved this skirt), so this post will mostly be photos! Suffice to say I love it. It works through all seasons - in May alone I wore it with bare legs, sandals and a strappy top on our rare warm and sunny days, and tights, boots and a jumper on the miserable ones!

My second version, completed 10 days after the first, is a slightly more functional version in denim. Functional, yes, but as MMM showed me, I need more plain-fabric items in my wardrobe to pair with my patterned tops.


I bought this denim from my local fabric shop and deliberately asked for only 120cm (it's 150cm wide). I wanted to see whether a Miette could be made from that small amount, and it totes can! Bear in mind I'm very wee and hacked 8cm off the length of the pattern, and I used a contrasting polka dot (of course!) fabric for my waistband facing and one side of the ties, but still... good to know this pattern is not a major fabric-suck!

Sorry to blind you with my pasty-white legs!

I made a bit of a feature of the centre front seam by topstitching each side with a tan topstitching thread. I used the same thread to stitch the hem, and love the way it looks.


Jamie took these photos for me last Sunday when we had some rare sunshine. We had a lovely lazy day - a lie-in, a nice walk along the river near our flat, and then I spent all afternoon sewing. Oh, and we started watching Orange is the New Black! In case you haven't seen it, it's awesome I'd totally recommend.

Rightio, I have a couple more photos, and then I swear I'll leave you in peace. Til next time lovelies!

Distracted by a passing pug
  


Elena x



22 comments:

  1. I love the top stitching! I've got a denim Miette and it's so easy to wear, matches everything...the jeans of the skirt world! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! It totally is... I can see it getting a lot of wear!

      Delete
  2. the top stitching is fab! i need (another) denim skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Can't have too may denim skirts, can you? ;)

      Delete
  3. They both look great! And I do the same thing with making a pattern twice really quickly so you're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth! Hehe, glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  4. I love this pattern and also have two versions. It's great that you have a practical and a bright version - perfect for all tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Totally - now I can match anything!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both glorious. I might have to copy your denim one! Loving the sandals too - very 70s chic. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling! The sandals are new from Clarks and I loooooove them xx

      Delete
  7. These are both so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tilly! It's a fab pattern.

      Delete
  8. Two lovely versions, Elena! I practically live in my denim version and I have no doubt you will get a lot of wear from both of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! Your denim version is fab, so I'm not surprised you live in it!

      Delete
  9. The Miette suits you so well! I love both version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! The pattern seems to look good on everyone, it's magical!

      Delete
  10. Yeah - love the denim top stitching looks dead professional like... but have to say the chintz one is totally adorable- a good excuse to make plain tops to go with pattern lower half ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Yep, I do need to make more plain tops to go with the chintz one now!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous!! (both you and the skirts, of course)
    Now that you've done the Miette, the Hollyburn and the Culottes (can't remember the pattern name) - which one do you think is the easiest to wear? (in terms of shape/flare/length/fit rather than the fabrics you used to make them)
    Thanks for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, excellent question Samantha! I'd probably say Hollyburn, as I just love its shape - it seems to have that perfect amount of flare without being too theatrical or OTT. Having said that, Tania (the culottes) are great for windier days, and the Miette is very forgiving after a big lunch!

      Delete
    2. Such a diplomatic response... but that's why we love sewing, right? Because there never seems to be just ONE right answer - the fun is in the options :)
      Thanks so much for your insight, Elena! I think I'm going to try the Hollyburn first.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...