Saturday, 10 May 2014

Finished! Colette Zinnia

Hey hey hey! Hope everyone's having a grand weekend so far! 'Tis a weird mix of rainy, slightly sunny and very windy here in Oxford today, so I'm chilling out on the sofa with ER and some hand-sewing. A bit lazy, yeah, but that's what weekends are for IMHO.

So we're 10 days into Me-Made-May '14 and things are going awesomely, but if there's one thing I've realised from the experience so far it's that I have a lot of unblogged makes! Here's one I finished about 4 weeks ago now, took photos of the following week, but am only just getting around to blogging... my first Colette Zinnia!


I really like this pattern. Admittedly I was on the fence about it when it was first released, but then started to see so many gorgeous versions pop up on the blogosphere, including some beauties by Sarai herself, and was won over. The deciding factor was that there are so many variations included in the pattern - different lengths, button front, pleats vs gathers, pockets... I bet I'll get my money's worth! For my first go round I made view 1 (sans pockets).


The fabric is a black georgette with teeny white polka dots that I picked up on a visit to Birmingham's rag market last year. As it's sheer I underlined it with a black poly pongee, though in hindsight just lining it might have been a better option. The fabric at the sides of the skirt is on the bias, and unfortunately the georgette stretched out much more from hanging than the pongee did, resulting in a bit of sagging around the hem. I unpicked the more obvious bits and restitched, but there are still some areas that don't quite sit right. Still, I reckon it's more noticeable to me than most other people, and when the skirt's in motion it's barely visible anyway. At least that's what I'm telling myself!

I wavered between black buttons and these hot pink ones, but in the end went with the pink. They might limit what I wear the skirt with, but I like the injection of colour.


Construction-wise, this skirt is so straightforward. Only the waist needs fitting, and as always with Colette patterns, the instructions are really well-written and easy to follow. I did make the pockets, but in the end decided to leave them off - they pulled at the skirt in odd ways and were hardly noticeable among the print of the fabric anyway.


These photos were taken in beautiful Guildford a month or so ago when Jamie and I visited our awesome friends Sreya and Jack for the weekend. Big thanks to Sreya for being my photographer!She's great with a camera, and Jamie definitely appreciated not having to be blog photographer for the day :D

Elena x


12 comments:

  1. Lovely skirt, Elena! I love the contrast of the buttons. From the photos, the hem looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! Yeah, I think you're right about the hem - I can live with it at least! :)

      Delete
  2. This is so cute! I love it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great skirt, and a great basic, but those pink buttons add just the right pop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Elena! I've just almost finished a Zinnia as well - just trying to get my pleats to behave themselves. I Wasn't sure about the pattern either to start with, but accidentally bought it on impulse. I'm still a bit undecided, but your version looks fantastic. Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I can't wait to see your Zinnia, I bet it's gorgeous!

      Delete
  5. Looking gooood. Love the quirky photos as well. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely skirt, the pink buttons are fun!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...