Monday, 6 January 2014

jen's 2013 sewing round-up - better late then never

Rather belatedly, I decided to do a little round-up and evaluation of my sewing in 2013. Mostly for my own benefit really, but hopefully one or two of you will also find it interesting. ;)

2013 was the year I properly started sewing my own clothes. I say properly because the very first garment I sewed in my adult life was actually a dress I made in December 2012. However, I don't own it anymore and the less said about it the better! It is on this blog but I won't point you to it. Go and find it if you must!

So, my sewing stats for 2013 are...

Items sewn: 14 (including 1 refashion and 1 unblogged - still to come!)
These break down into: 4 tops, 7 dresses, 1 pair culottes, 2 skirts.

I know 14 doesn't sound like a lot compared to some sewists, but it's a good result for me. As a beginner I'm still fairly slow, and I also find some weeks go by with very little time to sew in, due to work commitments and other hobbies. I also think it's pretty good considering that in the past few months, due to a rather time-consuming but now completed house move, I haven't been able to sew a thing! I have missed it sew. Ahahaha. Derp.

The breakdown sounds about on par for what I typically wear day to day, week on week. I love dresses, and I produced a good mix of everyday and occasion dresses. I do also like tops and skirts combos but as I sew a lot of prints I often find it hard to match up the two! Resolution for 2014: sew some plain items.

Any misses?

I'm pleased to say that none of my 2013 sewing has been misses. I definitely wear some items more than others, but I do still wear and enjoy everything I've made. Granted, the fit could be better with some of the pieces, but that's all room for improvement, right? This year we'll see if any of last year's items get relegated to the charity shop bag as I (hopefully) keep improving my sewing.

What about hits then?

I've got to give a special shout out to some of my items I'm really happy with, for one reason or another. In chronological order, 'cos I'm a little OCD like that...


Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt - March 2013


I love this skirt. The shape is lovely as it sits perfectly on the waist, and it goes with a heck of a lot of stuff. But my favourite thing about it has to be the yellow cord piping. Yay.


Tribal Megan Nielsen Darling Ranges dress - April 2013


A good fabric choice for this dress if you ask me. The construction of this dress was a challenge as I had some major fitting issues. I rescued it though, and came out with a dress that I love. The fabric frays to buggery though (excuse my language) so we'll see how much longer my pinked seams last for!


Jacquard By Hand London Elisalex dress - September 2013


In September I finally got round to making my first ever By Hand London pattern. And it was mighty fine. I'm chuffed to bits with this dress, and was proud to wear it next to an adorably handsome kilted-up Josh at the wedding of some good friends in Glasgow. Taking the time to do a muslin really paid off, and I can't wait to make more Elisalexes.


Pauline Alice Cami shirt dress - September 2013


September was clearly a good month for me as I also made what may well be my favourite item of the year. I made this dress as part of the Fall for Cotton challenge, using some beautifully-printed cotton. I wear it a LOT and get compliments every time I do. Makes you feel great when that happens, doesn't it? ;)


And that concludes my round-up of my 2013 sewing and my favourite bits. I have some vague goals for 2013 - sew some plain-coloured pieces, sew some fabulously-patterned pieces, and generally have a lot of fun doing it. Oh, and I also plan to get out of the house more and finally meet up with some of you lovely fellow sewists.

So I'll hopefully see some of you in 2014! I'll be the one in the dress above. ;)

Jen x


20 comments:

  1. Those are all lovely! The fit is fabulous! Fitting is something I need to work on in 2014, and maybe finding some TNT patterns in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! It's lovely when you find a pattern you know you'll make again and again, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Your makes are all lovely Jen, that Cami is stunning! And good job on making so many things that you wear regularly :) I plan to get out and meet some more sewists this year too, so I'll hopefully see you sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Looking forward to seeing you this year then! x

      Delete
  3. I love all of these! But especially the tribal dress and your shirt dress. Looks like you had a good year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think those two are my overall favourites too!

      Delete
  4. It's all SO lovely! I have been lusting over the Darling Ranges dress and the Cami dress for awhile, so this post is just pushing my buttons! And don't get me started about the elegant Elisalex dress... Hope 2014 brings you even more awesome sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all gorgeous Jen! I love your hollyburn & the tribal dress. Looking forward to seeing what you make this year & hopefully see you at a meet-up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hits! That Elisalex is divine and I adore your shirt dress. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your hits - especially the Cami dress, not surprised you always get compliments on that. I'm even newer to sewing than you are (only started making clothes last summer) and the first thing I made was a Hollyburn skirt - it's a great pattern! One of my goals for 2014 is to try and meet some other sewists too - nobody I know IRL sews so it would be good to meet some people who do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! Hollyburn's a lovely pattern, isn't it? Hope I see you at a meet-up soon then!

      Delete
  8. Ooh, what a good lot of makes this year! Your Cami is still one of my favourites... Hopefully we'll get the chance to talk sewing in person this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! It will be lovely to talk sewing with you in person x

      Delete
  9. I love the Holyburn skirt - I'd love to make one too, and the piping is so cute. I think 14 is a good number of makes for a year. I'd be happy with 4 at this earlier stage of my sewing career.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your Holyburn skirt!! Totally gorgeous! What a great set of makes from the year.

    I don't think you should feel like you need to have made lots of things though, as long as you're happy with what you did make and you learnt from the process, then that's better than having a hundred things that you don't like or wear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! It's true, I am happy with how much I get done - I'm a busy person anyway, and I don't like to feel like I have to rush things. This is a hobby after all, so I shouldn't feel undue pressure!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...