Thursday, 5 December 2013

a nice bit of chambray: McCalls 4769

Howdy folks!

Well, whilst Jen has been doing exciting life things such as BUYING A HOUSE, I've been crafting up a storm. As well as making a few Christmas presents for some of the lovely peeps in my life (can't share those yet, obvs!), I've been sewing my heart out, and now have a bit of a backlog of projects to share. Because of the seemingly-endless darkness that is wintertime, it's going to take me a while to get these photographed, but thankfully I have one ready and raring to go now...



My first ever shirtdress! And I bloody love it.

The pattern is McCalls 4769, which seems to be widely acknowledged by the sewing community as one of the best shirtdress patterns around, and I must add my voice in agreement. The instructions are generally really easy easy to follow, only dipping in quality a bit around the collar insertion (don't they always?), but thankfully I had this excellent tutorial by Handmade Jane to see me through. Yay for other sewing bloggers!


The fabric is a 100% cotton chambray from Calico Laine. I actually used the wrong side of the fabric, as when it arrived the right side looked far darker (and more shiny! Ugh) than it had appeared online. The wrong side, however, had a really nice casual light denim look. It's slightly darker than it looks in these pictures, which were taken on a really bright and sunny morning (as you can probably tell from my squinty face!) The colour shows better in the images below. It worked out really well, though during construction I did have a 'special' moment when I accidentally sewed the 'right' sides (my wrong sides - still with me?) together! More than once, too. Anyway...


To add to the casual look of the dress I used some very cute little tan buttons, and topstitched eeeeeverywhere with tan topstitching thread.

Size-wise, I made a cut a size 12 at the bust and shoulders, grading to a 14 at the waist and hips, with no other alternations, and the fit is almost perfect. If I were to make it again (and I probably will!), I'd add a little more width at the hips, as I had to remove the pockets because they were pulling weirdly and added extra bulk there. I think more width would prevent that.


I'm going to leave you with these pics of me with a lovely pooch who belongs to some friends of mine (one of whom very kindly took these photos for me). Isn't he a cutie? I've always been envious of the various bloggers who posed in their creations accompanied by their furry friends, and now I have one of my own! Woo.




Elena x


7 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look awesome! And I love the fabric: don't you just love it when the wrong side is just so right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian! Absolutely, it was a nice little surprise! ;)

      Delete
  3. This is the perfect shirtdress! Looks fantastic, the fit is great. Did you line it, or is does it just fall perfectly like that all the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kat! No, it's not lined, it just hangs really nicely. I think it helps that my tights are not at all static-y!

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I like the color combination and how prefect it fits you :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...