Sunday, 18 August 2013

back to basics: Dixie DIY Ballet Dress

Well, Jen and I have both been making a lot of dresses lately, and I'm afraid my latest make is no different! I promise we'll introduce a bit of variation soon ;)


This is the Dixie DIY Ballet Dress, made from a paisley viscose jersey from Croft Mill. The price of the fabric made me hesitate a little - I blame Birmingham rag market and Walthamstow fabric shops for making me balk at anything over about £8 a metre! - but in the end I decided to splash out. I don't often find viscose jersey in a nice pattern like this, and I was attracted to the muted colours. You can't see it very well in this picture, but the pattern has little splashes of red and turquoise that'll look lovely paired with bright tights and knitwear when the weather gets cooler.



The pattern itself is great, and such a bargain - just $4 (about £2.50) for the PDF download. It's a basic design, which will lend itself well to future adaptations, and it's very well thought-out - I liked the feature of adding elastic to the waist seam to keep its shape, for example. The fit is great, too - it skims the body without highlighting unsightly lumps and bumps! Plus, SO comfy.


The one part of the dress I'm not so keen on is the neckline. It's a little high for my liking, so for future versions I'd lower it. I'd probably also shorten the sleeves and add a cuff. 

 
I hope everyone's having a lovely Sunday so far! I'm going to persevere with my new project, the Salme Lydia blouse, which has been... erm, challenging so far, to say the least. Fingers crossed it'll turn out ok!


Elena x



10 comments:

  1. Ahh this fabric is gorgeous!
    I just finished my second Dixie ballet dress today! Such a good little pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe, it's pretty isn't it? Your ballet dress is so cute - I love the spots!

      Delete
  2. Nice Pattern, fits you just right, not to loose not to tight. Good fall fabric colors. Good luck on finishing the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! Love that fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the images the dress and fabric are gorgeous. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your shoes! Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks Shannon! They were from Clarks in the sale, bought about two months ago. Sadly I don't think they have them any longer as they're not on their website :(

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...