Monday, 6 May 2013

Summer in Simplicity


Ah, I love it when this happens - I think I've found a new favourite pattern!


At least the top 10, anyway.

This is view A of Simplicity 2177. This pattern has the worst cover art styling you've ever seen - I wouldn't have picked it up if it weren't for the various gorgeous versions I've seen all over Blogland. So glad I did, though! It's a really lovely, simple dress, with very unique bodice shaping thanks to the triangular bust inset. Unfortunately it's not really noticeable on my dress thanks to the pattern, but never mind!

Bloody hell, Simplicity. What were you thinking?
























































































LOVE the stripes in view B!


The fabric is something I picked up in Walthamstow with Jen earlier this year. I was unsure as to what it was, but a friend suggested cotton viscose as the drape is just beautiful. It was a bargain at £2.75 a metre!

I made a size 10 in the bust and waist, grading out to a 12 in the hips. Mostly the fit was great, except the back neckline was gaping quite a bit, so I added a couple of darts as a fix. Something to remember for next time!

Yep, I really am that pale

I omitted the pockets, as I get frustred by the bulk that in-seam pockets add to my (already fairly generous) hips. I also hacked about 6 inches off the length, which in hindsight was a little hasty as I don't love the length. It's fine with tights for autumn, winter, and spring, but I'll feel too self-conscious to wear it without tights for the summer. Ah well, a reason to make another!


For my next version I'll also add about an inch to the length of the bodice, as the waistline currently sits a little too high for my liking.


Despite the fact that I'm listing things I'm not happy with, I LOVED making this dress. It was a nice easy-peasy one  - done over the course of a few evenings, one or two hours at a time, and totally stress-free thanks to the good fit and well thought-out instructions. Simplicity are quickly becoming my favourite of the Big 4!


So, here are the sums!

Pattern = £9 (incl. delivery)
Fabric = £4.13
Notions = £2

Total = £15.13


Must be off now - Game of Thrones is on in 2 minutes! Jen's on her honeymoon at the moment, so I'm holding the fort here at Tea For Two Towers, but I'll be back later this week to share my beautiful new Deer & Doe Pavot coat.

Speak soon!

Elena x


4 comments:

  1. Ooh, it's looovely! You look well foxy in it too. Simplicity are definitely the best. :-) Well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving that dress lady! Gotta love Simplicity. I think they often have the best patterns out of the big 4! x

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...