Friday, 29 March 2013

a whole lotta love for Sewaholic Hollyburn

Ok, I'm just gonna come right out with it. I. LOVE. THIS. SKIRT. Wowee wowee wowee. As the title of this post suggests, it's Sewaholic's Hollyburn, released in December last year. I used the black suedette I bought at Walthamstow market a few weeks ago. I bought 1.75m at £2.50 a metre and used pretty much all of it; there are only a few scraps left. I'm sure they'll be useful for bits for other projects.

Wow, I look uncomfortable in this picture, don't I? Must have been some pavement gawkers watching me with suspicion. Don't you hate that?!

The suedette feels lovely. It's moderately heavy, but not too much that it drags me down. It hangs very well but keeps structure which I think works well with this skirt. Actually the beauty of this pattern seems to be that it also works well with light, very drapey fabrics too. The suedette also has a lovely satin-y feel to the reverse which gives it a high-quality feel that's very nice for the price!

Luvverly pockets.


I cut a size 10 (31in), in length B. The waist fit seems pretty much almost perfect, which is a relief not to have had to do much alteration post-cutting my pattern pieces! It didn't seem at all necessary to do a toile since as long as you get the waist measurement right then everything's a-ok. I ended up cutting 9cm off the length in the end as although I wanted the style of view B I am a short-ass and hate it when things drown me. I can definitely see myself making this skirt in views A and C too, and B again, and in a multitude of fabrics, prints and block colours. Yay!


This skirt is a dream to make, with lovely clear instructions, and has definitely been my most pleasurable make so far. I don't think I had any wobbles, and it all came together pretty quickly (for me, that is - I'm slow!).

It gave me so much confidence from the beginning that I even decided to attempt what is now my favourite part of this skirt - the mustard-yellow corduroy piping round the pockets! Isn't it cute? It matches the buttons too (John Lewis), which is cool. I really love mustard yellow at the moment, and happily it goes with a lot of tops that I have! Yay again. I bought the corduroy bias binding from MacCulloch & Wallis (they have an amazing selection!) and the piping cord from them too. It was my first time doing piping and it was actually so easy. I have to say I'm pretty proud of how awesome it looks. It was so nice to feel proud of something after some projects have really dented my self-confidence!

A close-up of that lovely piping. Dreamy.

I totally forgot to keep track of how much some of the trimmings and stuff cost for this project but all in all I think it must be pretty low, cost-wise! The pattern was borrowed from a friend (thanks Crafty Minx!), the fabric was around £4.50 and the zip, piping cord and bias binding can't have been more than £5 altogether. Gotta love an under-£10 make.

In other news, you may remember my Colette Peony post-completion pocket conundrum. Ha, that's a good sentence. Anyways, after a few wears I decided the pockets really were annoying the
bejeezus out of me, so I lopped them off. And I'm a lot happier! It gives a much smoother silhouette to my upper thigh area, where, let's face it, there's enough going on already.

And finally, check out the beautiful necklace Josh (partner-in-crime and patient and talented photographer of me for this blog) brought back for me from a recent trip to New York! Isn't it every sewist's dream?



I'm so happy it's Easter. Not because of the chocolate, no (although that helps), but because of several quiet days to get lots of sewing in! (For non-UK readers, Good Friday and Easter Monday are bank holidays so no work! Whoopee. Is that the case in any other countries?). I'm finishing up my Megan Nielsen Darling Ranges dress, and then I want to get on with a Grainline Scout tee which I recently bought the pattern for. It seems like a nice quick one and a good make.

What are you guys working on at the moment?

Happy Easter!

Jen x

9 comments:

  1. Ooooh, love the piping and buttons. Looks fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely! It looks great in a matt solid colour and the buttons and piping are excellent. Found your blog via Burdastyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That skirt looks so comfortable, and like it would have the perfect amount of swing/drape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it's so comfortable! And you're right, it's got a lovely amount of swing. x

      Delete
  4. Oh that is one phenomenal skirt!!! The yellow accents really pop. Amazing and inspiring work xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zoe! I'm a huge fan of your blog and work so that means so much! x

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...