Wednesday, 27 February 2013

sweetie darling!


Here it is – my finished Darling Ranges! I’ve had my eye on this pattern for a looong time, and finally got around to making it up. My verdict? I love it!


I have almost nothing to critique! Thanks to Megan’s always-thorough instructions, not to mention the incredibly detailed sewalong on her blog, the construction went swimmingly. I didn’t make a muslin as I was pretty confident the fit would either be ok or would be fixable during construction, but instead just made a few pattern adjustments before starting.

Firstly, despite the fact that the pattern envelope was guiding me towards making a medium according to my measurements, I cut a small. This dress has quite a bit of ease and is designed to be worn quite loosely, with the ties at the back being used to tighten the fit. I knew I’d rather have it more fitted from the off, however, so followed the ‘finished garment’ measurements instead and omitted the ties. It’s still quite loose, but I generally wear a belt to cinch it in at the waist anyway. Maybe next time I’ll cut a small in the sleeves and an XS in the bodice and skirt.
I also followed Megan’s sewalong instructions and added 3cm at the bottom of the bodice, as the waistline is designed to sit fairly high but I wanted it closer to my natural waist. I removed 3cm from the hem to counter-balance this.


I did have a bit of an issue with the darts once they were sewn up. For some reason they were very short and ended nowhere near my bust apex, and left an odd triangle of fabric that still needed to be gotten rid of. This was easily fixed, though – I just extended them about twice the distance, and as the base of the dart didn’t need adjusting I didn’t need to unpick my side seams.


My fabric is a simple cotton from Mason’s, and it has a teeny bit of stretch to it. I spent a longer-than-average amount of time trying to find buttons I was happy with, and in the end I’m still not 100% content, but I’m not sure they’re worth stressing about!



One of my favourite features of this pattern is the use of bias tape around the neckline – no need for facings! Yess!


Oh, and here you can see one of my new sewing labels! I couldn’t resist ;)

My costs for this dress were:
Pattern = £0 (birthday present from my lovely mum!)
Fabric = £11
Notions = £4.50
Total = £15.50

Not bad at all! It helps that I have such a generous mum, of course ;)

Anyhoo, I'll definitely be making this again. I'm thinking of giving it a whirl in jersey - what do you think? Has anyone made a jersey/knit Darling Ranges? I'd love to see!

Elena x

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous. I love the fabric! I've been eyeing this pattern, every version I've seen is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love this one as well! Obviously three is quite a lot so have a think and let me know if you're happy to do any! xxx

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...