Sunday, 3 February 2013

oh for pleat's sake



Well, well, well. Where to start with this project? I actually finished this skirt on New Year's Day this year but have been putting off blogging about it because the way I feel about it is just sort of... meh. I was toying with the idea of not showing it at all, but you have to show the good with the bad, right? And actually, a project like this just makes the ones I do like all the more special, so I think the things I've learned from it are worth writing about.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it. The pattern is McCalls 6439, view D, and the fabric is a bargainous (£2.50 a metre!) and beautifully silky something-or-other from Masons. The fabric is actually one of the things I like most about the skirt, and considering it's silkiness, it wasn't too tricky to sew with as it also has a fair bit of weight to it. I also like the shape and style of it. As it sits on the waist it's quite flattering, and the pleats around the top and sides of the skirt create lovely drapey folds and a nice amount of volume. And it has pockets!


So those are the positives. I'm sad to say, though, that the negatives outweight the positives, and they're numerous. The main thing is that this skirt felt like it took ages to make, and with every pleat (each side has 9 pleats, and I made a muslin, so that was 36 pleats in total!) my enthusiasm waned just a little bit more. By the time I'd gotten around to sewing the zip and the waistband I was just itching for it to be over so that I could start something new (I'm trying to only have one project on the go at a time these days!) I'm a little ashamed to say, therefore, that the standard of my sewing on those areas leaves a lot to be desired. The thread colour clashes with the pattern, my stitching-in-the-ditch around the waistband looks appalling on the inside, and I think I had my iron on too hot, as it seems to have faded the fabric in some places :(



So, patience was not my strong suit with this one! Overall, though, I can still bear to look at the skirt without wanting to rip it up, so all is not lost. And I think it will get worn, maybe on a night out. Somewhere dark so that no-one can see the flaws :D


Elena xx


9 comments:

  1. hello there, what a gorgeous skirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's gorgeous!!! You are way too hard on yourself, lady friend. You'll get loads of envious stares when you wear it out. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, for one, love this skirt! Have you worn it yet?

    I recently found you through the sewintists map, and I guess we shop at the same fabric shop. I bought this same fabric last year, and I only wish I'd made something more like your skirt. What I ended up with just sits in the bottom of my 'wupsie' pile, waiting to be turned into something more appropriate... check mine out: http://frocksford.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/woodstock-dress/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, what a coincidence! I've just checked out your dress - it's gorgeous! And I'm so impressed that you drafted the pattern yourself. I know what you mean, though - the fabric is a little too stiff.
      I haven't actually worn mine out yet, but is hasn't been resigned to the charity shops either. I think I just need to find the right occasion!
      Anyway, you now have a new follower of your blog, and maybe I'll see you in Masons soon! :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...