Thursday, 20 December 2012

vogue 8763 - out of my comfort zone in more ways than one!

I'm going to hold my hands up now and say that I am DEFINITELY a beginner when it comes to dressmaking. I love to sew, yes, and you'll see many of my projects on this blog do involve me taking to my sewing machine, but I haven't had actually done dressmaking since school. Inspired by Elena though, I recently took to my machine to make my first endeavour... Vogue 8763!


Cute, huh? And definitely not my usual kind of style. But I liked the colour-blocking option and the modern slouchy style. So I hotfooted it to John Lewis and bought my jerseys - one black for the central panel and one, maybe surprisingly, in a pretty small-floral pattern.




This dress is part of their Very Easy Vogue Patterns range. Definitely a good idea to start with a 'very easy' pattern I thought! Surely this won't defeat me? Hmmm. Now I know I'm a beginner, I said I'm a beginner. But boy did this pattern really make me feel like one! Admittedly it's simple in its structure - just three separate jersey pieces, and no zip or fastenings - simple, right? Well yes, kind of, but Vogue - for a beginner's pattern, couldn't you make your instructions slightly easier to comprehend? How about some straightforward explanations for those terms and techniques some of us might be a little rusty on? I don't know, guys is that a little too much to ask? Maybe some of you who are also beginners, or can recall starting out, can let me know if they've also found that with "easy" Vogue patterns.

Anyway, rant over! Despite my having to Google explanations and examples (and multiple texts to 'Lena) for every other step in the pattern, overall I found it a very pleasant experience! And I'm definitely proud of myself. Knowing the dress would be too long as it was I decided I had to make it shorter, and successfully did so! I think I chose my jerseys well - plain black was an easy one, and although I was tempted to go with the red as on the pattern cover, I'm glad I tried this cute floral! It's very me. Admittedly the sides don't drape perhaps as well as they look like they should in the pattern - but I think that's down to my ample-derriered body shape!

What do you guys think? Apols for the less than brilliant photography! Winter and darkness do not lend themselves to great photography!

Jen x




6 comments:

  1. I'm a beginner too, 2 or 3 dresses under my belt, i'm taking classes too. I have to say that there are two things i won't touch as a beginner-stretch fabrics i.e jersey (until i know what i'm doing!) and vogue patterns! Vogue easy are notiously not easy apparantly! I do recommend kwik sew simple style dresses though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good to know, thanks Jo! x

      Delete
  2. really pretty, worn it out yet? I have a simular design from burda in the plus range,, I have not finished yet,,

    http://www.burdastyle.com/profiles/flowergirl22

    nicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicki! Yes I wore it out that same night that I took the pics - to the pub, and I wore it over Xmas during the day with a long-sleeved top underneath - I reckon it looked great both times!

      Jen x

      Delete
  3. Oh congrats on the dress which looks fab. I haven't made a dress yet ..... and have Vogues in the drawer to make. Thank god for sewing blogs and google searching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! Let me know when you do your Vogues, would love to hear your thoughts! x

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...