I've had my eye on Megan Nielsen's Kelly skirt pattern for a while now, but had been forcing myself to hold off on buying any new patterns until after my holiday in October (a little destructive to the old bank account - look at me, I'm learning to budget!) Finally, a few days before October's payday when I just couldn't wait any longer, I allowed myself to buy the pattern. It arrived the very next day. Yay! I couldn't wait to get started...
And then I moved house. My new sewing room (*happy sigh*) was filled with boxes and I didn't have a spare minute inbetween the cleaning, furniture-buying, and unpacking, to actually shop for fabric... until last weekend. On Saturday morning I wandered down to Masons (now just 5 minutes' walk from our new flat!) and found a lovely dark emerald green corduroy for my kelly. It was the end of the bolt and there was just 1 metre and 10 centimetres left, but despite the fact that the envelope calls for 1.4m for a size M, I risked it. I was clearly feeling a little delirious, but the risk paid off, as it was more than enough. Note to self for future - Megan Nielsen patterns are quite generous with their fabric requirements!
The instructions for the skirt are an absolute joy - so easy to follow, with the cleasest diagrams I've ever seen, and such helpful tips along the way. The pattern pieces are all printed on lovely sturdy paper, and whilst I traced all my pieces anyway, this certainly made them less messy to store. The main part of the skirt is unlined so it sews together really quickly - I think the whole process, from tracing my pattern pieces to sewing on the last button, took about 6 hours.
Due to the thickness of the corduroy I decided not to use it for my pocket linings, and instead used a gorgeous multicoloured Japanese-print silk I have set aside for another skirt (coming soon!) I love the feeling of the silk every time I put my hands in my pockets.
I've had a fair bit of practise with the 4-step buttonhole feature on my sewing machine by now, so the buttonholes went in without any problems.
|Terrible indoor lighting!|
I raised the hem of the skirt by about 2 inches in the end, mainly because I'm a short-arse, but also because I find it so much easier to wear skirts that are just on the knee. I must apologise for the awful photography by the way - it's a struggle to find a free hour of daylight in the middle of the week!
Ah, that's better. I took this this morning in natural light - such an improvement!
Oh well, you live and learn! I'm tempted to try Colette's Beignet next, as those seams look more flattering for a pear-shaped girl.